Sunstar is the latest map added to Tribes Ascend and it’s brilliant and awful, equally… Find out what the smeg I’m talking about below.
If there’s one word to describe triber’s thoughts on the new snowy, bright and small map Sunstar, it’s ‘contentious’. People have remarked it’s the worst map in Tribes Ascend… and others have decided it’s the best to have come out.
To understand this great divide you need to focus on the pros and cons…
- It’s beautifully bright, with a massive glaring sun on the horizon
- It’s small (similar in size to Crossfire) so maps are full of action
- It has a similar feel to a few Tribes 1 maps, so gets the nostalgia thumbs up
- There are no tall hills you can use to pick up speed, so the map feels slow
- It’s a snipers paradise, with a clear line of sight from one side of the map to the other
- There’s a building just behind each flag, meaning incoming cappers need to take predictable routes from the sides
- With such a small map it can feel quite spammy and not co-ordinated.
I get the feeling very new players to Tribes Ascend are really enjoying this map, they have a chance to get into the action fast and spam mortars onto the flag stand for easy kills. Though the ability to pick up speed is massively hindered, so learning big fast routes is going to take a long time (even for the expert flag cappers).
In regards to competitive scrims it’s going to be very frustrating for chasers and cappers, with lots of grabs and returns every second, but as a spectator it’ll be incredibly fun to watch.
Overall I’m enjoying this map, it’s definitely more fun than the new updated Temple Ruins map and once the map starts you don’t get to catch a breath until it ends.